Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Monday, February 05, 2007



I got beat up pretty bad on the trails Saturday. It was a joint ride with some of the bomb and fca-e crew, starting near Academy and Lowell and hitting the dirt at the Bear Canyon dam at Juan Tabo. The group climbed from there to Embudito, then on over to the south foothills. When we got to the single track, the girls went in one group, and I went with Todd, Carl, and Patrick. I had the SS and Patrick was on his cross bike while the other guys had their full sus rigs. For some reason, I was leading out the group and by the time we got into some of the initial climbs south of Copper, then coming back north, it was Patrick riding my rear wheel with the other two guys dropping back some. Patrick has a jovial way of pushing you till you blow up, all the while smiling and talking. And blow up I did, about half way into the 20 mile ride. I managed to recover after the last climb, but by then I was bringing up the rear and the legs were cramping up all the way back, but I managed. Funny thing was that I didn't bonk, but my blood sugars were actually way high after the ride, and talking with Dr. Tim afterward, he says too high sugars will trick your body into thinking it's over-hydrated and kidney output increases and on a cellular level you're losing electrolytes, and you end up suffering from dehydration, despite drinking enough. This is what happened in part on Sat., plus the fact that I just got pounded by a much stronger and smarter rider. A good ride and lesson nonetheless!

Sunday afternoon was beautiful out and I didn't want to pass on the opportunity to ride again, but I knew my legs were still mush from the previous day and not up for pushing the singlespeed around the south foothills, so I broke out my old Sugar and headed south for a nice 20 mile loop through the south foothills. With the gears I was able to hit some of the steeper climbs that I avoid or have to walk while on the SS bike. It was a nice steady pace and hardly anyone out on the trails. It was a perfect ride to clear the mind and to remember what a fun bike the GF can be to ride. Should be nice and warm this week, so get out and ride.

3 Comments:

At 1:22 PM, February 08, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

No shame in getting pounded by a top ten CX Nationals racer! Keep working hard and always have fun!

 
At 10:27 AM, February 12, 2007, Blogger Matt said...

It's always good to ride with stronger riders. Bummer on the cramps though. Here's hoping things clear up soon and the north foothills open back up!

 
At 9:03 AM, February 13, 2007, Blogger StageWest said...

Anon (Todd?)-true-need to always remember this is for fun.

Matt, stronger riders definitely push you out of your comfort zone, and that's ultimately a good thing. I hiked the north foothills on Sunday afternoon, and they didn't look too bad. Saw a few people riding out there too.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home