Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Tuesday, December 12, 2006


Made the mistake of heading out to the east mountains Saturday and quickly found out there's too much snow and mud to ride. Headed back to town and just parked at Copper for a quick loop around the south foothills on the SS. It's really dry and loose out there now, making the SS all the more challenging. Not a long ride, but got a good leg burn from the climbing/spinning out/techy challenges. Also ran into Damian with a contingent of hammers as I was finishing up. Damian said he got an email from Matt saying the surgery went well and he’ll be back hammering before you know it.

Sunday we hit up my inlaws church to watch the kids Christmas play. They all did great! I was planning a longish ride after church, but those plans were changed after I got a bad dog bite on my hand. You see, one of the neighbors dogs attacked our pup and was trying to rip his ear off, when I interceded and got the worst of the altercation. So, with my hand all messed up, I decided to take in the State Cyclocross championships at Rio Bravo Park. While there, I tracked down Dr's Monique and Tim and asked them to check out my hand. They said mainly keep it clean and don't take any chances with infection. Anyway, got to the races in time for the Elite Men's race and watched FCA Endurance teammate Patrick M. take third place. A last lap flat and bike change cost him second, but man, he's a strong and fast rider. Super fast youngster Taylor L. spanked the field though, so the race was really for second. A good effort by everyone and congrats on a good season, and best wishes at Nationals in RI this weekend!!

The hand seems to be doing better, so I was able to get a road ride in both yesterday and today. I was able to keep my hand in a comfortable position but mostly used the front brake since I haven’t got much grip power in the right hand from the swelling. I’ll hit up a night ride later this week as long as the hand keeps improving.

Caught a great bluegrass show on KNME this evening by Rhonda Vincent and the Rage. KNME has been airing some excellent music this month, so check this show out if you get a chance.

3 Comments:

At 8:16 PM, December 15, 2006, Blogger ojulius said...

Holy cow, that's a nasty looking bite on the hand! What happened to the neighbor's dog? Any chance they learned to keep that thing on a leash?!?

Yep, Matt's recovery from surgery is going very well...we'll try a ride tomorrow!

 
At 4:25 PM, December 16, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Hey Jeni,
Yes, I think they learned not to let it off the leash! It's an elderly couple who inherited the dog from their son and they are learning. The dog was trying to bite our dog, and not me, I just got in the way. He's an old dog and we decided to just let it go....lesson learned.

Great that Matt's surgery went well. I need to catch up on some blog reading, so I'll check his out. Hope you both got out today, it was really nice!
Chris

 
At 9:17 PM, December 17, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Chris! Sorry about the dog bite - hopefully the couple can show some better handling skills in the future though.

SS is a nog go for me, so I'll ride one gear vicareously through you in the meantime. ;-) Have a good x-mas and New Years!

Matt

 

Post a Comment

<< Home