Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Monday, December 04, 2006


Stayed close to home over the weekend and other than Sunday morning for 15 minutes, didn't set foot in the car. Took all last week off the bike which was the longest stretch I haven't ridden all year. It was actually a nice break. Strung together north/south foothills loops on the SS and had a lot of fun. Saturday morning my legs were noticeably dead on the initial climb up Cedar Hill to the water tanks. Haven't been doing enough climbing lately so I hit every little climb I could manage along the way. Climbed the BOMB trail after hitting the water tank climb and tried hard not to stand up, but had to for some sections. Then came over on Pearl's Dive and the Wombat trails and finished the climb up to Pino where I ran into Ann and her crew coming the other direction. Also ran into my old friend Kirby. I hate to ask Kirby his age anymore, but I know he's at least 62, and he can still hammer. Hope I can be hammering when I reach that age! Anyway, a pretty uneventful ride, though I didn't feel my best. Got out Sunday afternoon for a similar but shorter ride and though my legs were tired, I was able to ride a lot harder and the average speed was better too. I have noticed my average speed on the SS has tapered off slightly from the Spring, but I know my overall endurance has improved. Got lots to work on for the coming year when I begin my 7th year of mountain biking. Looking to increase both the speed and endurance. It will require a little pain, a little suffering, but it will all be good.

Say, whatever happened to Jennifer Knapp? That girl can sing, play amazing guitar, and write great lyrics. Hope she comes out of hibernation soon to bless us with her gift. The live album being released this year is stuff that was recorded years ago, so there's no new material there, even though it's a good compilation of her work.

3 Comments:

At 4:50 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger Hack said...

That's a good question. Believe it or not i really like her stuff.

 
At 9:08 PM, December 06, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

I rode the White Mesa with Kirby maybe 4 years ago - he was on this Ti Voodoo suspension bike he got from Hugh Knox. Small world, eh?

If you get a chance, check out this book.
http://www.velogear.com/prodinfo.asp?number=VP+MPC
Pretty clinical and roadie like, but it's got a lot of great information - by an actual M.D.

 
At 5:26 PM, December 07, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Hack, if you ever here anything through your connections in the business, let me know. BTW, does your label have any audio clips of your band I could check out?

Matt, definitely a small world! Kirby said he broke that frame a few weeks ago, and now he's on a new/used FS frame and I can't remember what it was.
Thanks for the link to the book, sounds like a good one. Hope you bounce back stronger than ever from the surgery!

Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home