Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Monday, October 09, 2006




Crazy weather. A weather-forced change of plans had us cancel our out of town rides and stay local for the long weekend. Saturday we led a new beginner on some nice easy singletrack out at Oak Flat for a club ride. Turned out to be a decent morning except I lost my Sugoi leg warmers somewhere out there. If you come across a pair out that way please let me know. Sunday, Ann wanted to do a trail run, so I took the opportunity to hit up Faulty trail. Hadn't been up on that trail since we moved to town, so it sure was nice to be back on familiar turf. I had planned to do a much longer ride, but serious rain and cold had me cut it a bit short. I caught a pretty serious chill and there were even snowflakes falling on me at one point. Only 14 miles, but they were challenging miles. It wasn't muddy, but very wet, and faulty is tough enough to ride under good conditions. The rocks and roots were very slippery and riding with great caution was the motto for the day. I started at the Cedar Crest post office and rode up Canoncito road to the private gate, then proceeded up to the Cole Springs picnic ground from there. Running water could be heard in nearly every drainage. Just outstanding to hear it. I just worked my way north toward Doc Long, and tried out a couple of new side trails I hadn't been on before and it was really sweet singletrack and comparable to the new horse bypass near Cienaga. Since I was wet and chilled I turned around and headed back the same way I came. I did notice a lot of non-native vegetation springing up in a couple drainages. This is the result of horses being fed improperly and then brought out on the trails. Faulty is a classic trail and worthy of gears and I hope to hit it up again and connect to the top of the mountain before the snow. I managed a short, but fairly intense foothills ride on Monday on the SS. Would rather have ridden Cochiti or the east mountains, but the rain kept me close to home. Gave me a chance to catch up on some neglected chores and even whip up some homemade chick potpies for supper. Grace and peace.

3 Comments:

At 9:29 AM, October 12, 2006, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I've heard Faulty is a great trail. Do you think it can be singlespeeded?

PJ de Silver City

 
At 1:03 PM, October 12, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

I think a good singlespeeder could handle the trail fine. The trick would be picking the right gear. For me, on a 26-inch wheeled bike, I'm guessing about 32:19, but I've never tried it SS, so maybe someone who has might chime in.

 
At 7:38 PM, October 15, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

I've only SS'd the upper parts of the Sandias (KOTM, 10k, etc), nothing down that low....but I suspect Faulty should be fine for it. However Oso Corridor would be quite an effort. ;-)

I'm w/o SS at the moment though and hopefully will get a shot at it sometime before the year is out.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home