Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Sunday, October 01, 2006


Fall. A Cedro/Otero Friday. Had some admin leave owed to me, so I took Friday afternoon to do a nice loop on the singlespeed. I had bigger ambitions for the day, than my body was up for and it was apparent from about 10 minutes into the ride, that I hadn't hydrated enough before coming out. The first five miles of climbing hurt more than normal but things finally started coming around about 1/3 of the way into the ride. I started at the lower lot of S. 14 and headed up the dump road then connected up to Mighty Mule, to Lone Pine and then Lone Pine cutoff to Pinyon 2-track. Took that south to the Mutant, where I rode/climbed/hiked my bike to the saddle where Poker Chip intersects, then worked over to Juan Thomas, then Mahogany, then Oak Flat, then Mars Court to Cajun Pine, to 326 singletrack to the Meadow, then down Blue Ribbon trail to Otero, short climb to the Tunnel/Rambo intersection, then down Tunnel to the parking lot, then pavement back to the truck. Just a little over 26 miles, and if I'd felt better, I should have tacked on some more mileage, especially over at David Canyon where it was shadier and the temps a little cooler, but that will have to wait until next time. Ride time was 2:38 and I'm not sure about the total climbing, but certainly at least 3K. Total time was about 20 minutes longer since I stopped to visit with a couple of folks along the trail. Total spur of the moment ride, and glad I got out to enjoy a tremendous fall day.

4 Comments:

At 8:36 PM, October 01, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

Great Loop! I've done that one a few times too, but darn you were smoking on that!

Not sure if you know, but off of Gambel Oak at the end of Mahagony there is a trail (marked with a deadwood shelter) that will take you right up to Oak Flats Road. Swet peice of singletrack too...

 
At 7:47 PM, October 02, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

That is a really fun loop Matt. So many options to add miles too.

I've been on varios trails in the vicinity, but the one you're describing doesn't ring a bell. I'll be sure to look for it as it's always fun to ride new stuff out there. Thanks for the tip.

 
At 8:48 PM, October 06, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

It's hard to describe from Gamble Oak......but let's say you did the loop in reverse. As soon as you ride east on Oak Flats Road, look for the 2nd or 3rd turn left - it should be blocked by big boulders to keep cars out. It turns into a trail...and every has a scenic vista that someone brought a picnic table too. Once you ride it this way it is easier to find it off of Gambel Oak.

Good Luck!

 
At 6:55 AM, October 10, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Ah, thanks Matt. I know how to get to that picnic table spot. Now, just need to ride out the trail!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home