Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Saturday, August 19, 2006






Cochiti Mesa. Ann and I Took the 45 mile drive to the trailhead for some epic riding. This area is just spectacular and the trail network is amazing. There is an incredible amount of superb singletrack up here and I know I've just scratched the surface of it all. Add to that, beautiful rock formations, ancient ruins, wildlife, running water, and scenic vistas and it's a hard place to beat.

The ride ended up being about 12 miles longer than originally planned due to my foul up with the gps and a wrong scaled map. I could see Ann was about reaching the limits of her comfort zone, so I got our path righted, and got us headed back. With the impending thunder storm and the creeks running quite high, it was the right decision. Still we managed 30 miles and the gps profile says we did 5,000 feet of climbing on a nice mix of singletrack and doubletrack. I brought the singlespeed as has been my standard this summer while Ann was on her trusty S-Works. Definitely need to get back there to explore some more. Maybe later this fall when Dixon's Orchard is serving up fresh apple cider.

Here's a link to a map and profile of one of the big Cochiti loop options courtesy of FOO If you right click on the image, you can save it to your computer and use your graphics software to get it to a scale to suit your needs.

I think Ann is planning on killing me during a run tomorrow morning, so she'll get her payback soon. Though, I had fun watching her catch and pass 2 guys who had a 10-minute head start on us from Dixon's. She's a better rider than she thinks she is. Enjoy a few pictures of the area on an overcast and rainy day. Grace and Peace.

4 Comments:

At 8:11 PM, August 21, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

Ummm...Cochiti on a singlespeed is quite impressive. Wow.

If this makes sense to you - my usual loops involve starting at Dixons and then doing 1 of three options;

1. Dome Road to MoTown to Cross Town, then backroads over to Media Dia which puts you out in the canyon and back to the Orchard.

2. Dixons to Canyon Road, up Carl Shipman which comes out on Dome Road right where Mo Town starts, then Cross Town...Media dia, etc.

3. Dixon's up the Canyon to Killer Switchbacks (looks like you found them) to dirt roads to Cross Town to Mo Town, down Carl Shipman, down the canyon, etc.

I think No. 3 is the hardest, and 1 would be best on the SS.

But I have not been out there is 2 years. Doh!

 
At 11:13 AM, August 22, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Those switchbacks were killer indeed! Had to walk through several, but I think I would have had to do the same with my gears. Someone has been repairing/working on them and there are cinder blocks lying all over at the moment. Found some stuff on top of the mesa I didn't know about, but I ended up getting us stymied on a ridge with no way down except climbing gear, so we had to back track right into the oncoming rain. That Option 1 of yours sounds great, as does 2. It just amazes me when I think about all the great riding we have nearby!

 
At 9:46 PM, August 22, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

Ok so maybe he're the best way to learn the stuff. If you went up the canyon to killer switchbacks - perhaps you noticed a trail on your RHS maybe 1/2 mile before your turned on this trail - that is Carl Shipman. You cross a creek and follow a steep uphill trail for 2 miles. From here you will reach the Dome Road - and Motown (a classic!) is just right accross the road - heading west.

Mo-Town follows the Dome Road to the horse corrale parking area and Crosstown starts here. There is map of the loop on the Foo website under photo albums...but it will take some digging, I'm sure.

Good luck!

 
At 9:31 AM, August 23, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Matt, I did see that trail and notice some moto tracks heading that way.

I also found the link to the map on the FOO site. Thanks for the tip. That will be a great resource. I posted up a link on the blog.

Good luck in Durango. Hope things dry out a little before the race.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home