Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Monday, August 28, 2006



A routine week. Wasn't on the bikes as much this week, but managed a couple of nice road rides at lunch. Abused the arms and legs at the gym on Friday, and paid for it Saturday on the singlespeed out at Cedro with Ann. We rode a couple of hours and it was the first really sunny Saturday I can remember in over a month. Saw some mule deer and some people hiking with their goats. That was wierd. Sunday was equally as nice. Ann went for a trail run, so I headed up to the Otero/David Canyon area for a great afternoon ride. I rode hard for 2 hours and was feeling darn good, but had to end the ride and get home for chores and to smoke some salmon for dinner.
Docs visit went good today. The new insulin is working good and the blood chemistry is spot on. HDL is 47 and LDL is 91 while the triglycerides are 96. A1C is 6.0 and I'd like to get that back down into the 5.5 to 5.9 range again, but it will take some tweaking with the new insulin cocktail. Hematocrit is a very average 43% so maybe I'm somewhat aerobically challenged in the endurance arena, but I bet Tyler Hamilton would be happy with that number!
I love this time of year when the summer transitions into fall. Sleep seems to come easier and there's something magical about being in the mountains. "Consider the flowers of the field, how they grow; they neither toil nor spin, yet I tell you, even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these".

5 Comments:

At 8:41 PM, August 29, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

Hey Chris - my hematocrit levels are normally around 42, so we are pretty similiar. Insulin cocktail, wow. I have to battle Crohn's Disease. Looks like we both have extra motivation for exercising.

Smoked salmon does sound good too.

 
At 10:24 AM, August 30, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Matt, that's good to know about having a similar hematocrit. The trick with the insulin is figuring out the right amounts to take when doing longer rides since my pancreas doesn't contribute anything.

The fact that you've reached an elite level of cycling with Crohn's is really outstanding. My sister-in-law has Crohn's but she just doesn't understand the benefits of exercise. I think I'll have her read your blog! Yep, extra motivation to exercise and stay as fit as possible!
Cheers

 
At 3:07 PM, August 30, 2006, Blogger Casa de PDH said...

Dude,
I want your routine week.

 
At 5:08 PM, August 31, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

Thx Chris - but no elite level here. I just ride and try to improve. ;-) I had the illeostomy 5 years ago when we had to remove 1/3 of the lower GI and 18-in of the upper. It wasn't pretty - but exercise does help no question in my mind.

Interesting on the challenges you face with longer rides. I did not know that. Man you are doing great!

 
At 4:43 PM, September 01, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

-PDH,
That's why I quit working for "the man"; so I could have a routine week! You should give it a try......Oh, I forgot, You are "the man"!!

-Thanks Matt. Man, you've come back strong since your surgery.

I just need to get everything dialed in to avoid those bonks. I've just started trying Hammergel and some of their other products which have no refined sugars and have been really happy with them so far.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home