Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Monday, October 23, 2006



A really beautiful week. Got a couple of nice road rides in on Wednesday and Thursday. Just 40 miles total but an intense pace. Finished building up Ann's racerx Thursday night and she was anxious to try it out Saturday. We hit up Cedro and started at Pine Flat with the intention of doing a big loop out to Sedillo, then back up to Oak Flat, Open Space etc. However, after 10 miles, I stopped to move some wire out of the trail and I heard Ann give a little yelp, then silence for 30 seconds. Next I heard her gasping for breath, so I high tailed it back to find that she went down hard. She's still not sure what happened and doesn't remember much, but I suspect she grabbed too much front brake and endo'd. Her first time using discs and it was a tough lesson. Her helmet saved her from a really bad injury, but she still got a gash that required 4 stitches, and has really bruised ribs, which are quite painful. Thanks to Dr. Dave who stopped to give assistance. Ann insisted on riding back to the car as Dr. Dave told us to get to urgent care asap. She rode the 5 miles back to the car, so our ride ended up being only about half the intended 30 miles. She's on the mend, but it's going to be a while for those ribs to heal and she's ready for the rocky trails again. One lesson learned was making sure we carry basic first aid with us in the future. We've gotten into the bad habit of carrying nothing, and if it weren't for some helpful people on the trail, we would have had nothing.

Sunday, I packed my gear and first aid kit and headed back to Cedro. About a mile into the ride I managed my worst crash of the year on my SS. Crazy how these things happen. I've found that when encountering big patches of those Cedro rock piles, to just hammer through them and you float on top. However, I somehow slipped on the pedal, pitching my weight forward just in time to bury my front wheel into a rock which sent me flying with no time to react. Face plant into some tasty limestone, and jacked up my shoulder and pinky finger pretty bad. I taped up the finger with my first aid kit and continued my ride, using mostly front brake. At least I got some miles in, though I paid the price. Sure glad those kind of crashes rarely happen. Though I've noticed that since I've hit my 40's, I don't see as well on the trails some days, and I think that's a factor. I think the reaction time and reflexes are still there, but some days the eyes are sharper than others and it shows. Anyway, I pray we heal up quickly to take advantage of the awesome weather before the real cold sets in. Out for now.

5 Comments:

At 9:41 PM, October 23, 2006, Blogger Hack said...

Ouch!

I have had plenty of crashes but when the Wife crashes it's no good.

Hope you guy's heal up soon.

 
At 1:28 PM, October 24, 2006, Blogger Matt said...

Yeah sorry to hear about the crashes! Especially Ann, that sounds like she had quite a scare. Not sure what pedals you are running, but I sometimes slip on my Eggbeaters. I might try to Speedplays sometime in the future.

Nice bike for Ann though. wow.

 
At 9:54 AM, October 25, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Hack,
Yeah, it's no fun to see you're better half injured like that. She's anxious to heal and get back out and ride though! She was most upset about not being able to remember what happened and being a bit confused after it occurred. She's supposed to be resting but tried to go to the gym yesterday (one armed curls I guess!), but the gym was closed for some reason. It's hard to slow her down!

 
At 9:55 AM, October 25, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Matt,
That's the hardest she's ever gone down, so we're certainly thankful it wasn't any worse, but definitely scary. Those ribs will be a while to heal though. Her new ride is really nice. Thanks to a good deal from Stevie on the frame and a "good buddy" discount from our parts supplier on the build kit, we were able to swing it.

I have been using the eggbeaters and that's just what happened to me.... hmmm. Previously I tried the Beebop pedals and they are a nice design and super light, but I was having trouble with the cleats always coming loose and flexing so engaging was difficult. They need to improve the cleat design for mountain biking, and they've also got a bit more float than I like for off-road, but they do make a great road pedal. I'd like to hear your impressions on the Speedplays if you try them.

Chris

 
At 7:55 AM, October 28, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Ethan,
Yep, Ann especially was protected from serious injury. I was reading Psalm 65 this morning about "Provision". A good reminder.
See you at the trail work day. Thanks for helping out!
Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home