Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Monday, October 16, 2006


Artifacts. Little did I know that when I decided to install a new mailbox this weekend, I'd be digging up an aboriginal artifact in the process. After pulling out the old mailbox with rotten timber, I expanded the hole so I could put a good concrete base in for the new post. While digging, this big chunk of granite came out of the hole, and I laid it aside and finished the job, before really looking at the rock. It took a little while, but when I finally recognized what it was I was stoked! It looks to me like a stone hammer or hatchet and weighs about 4 pounds. Someone took a lot of time sculpting and shaping this stone and cutting the groove around the top for attaching it to some sort of handle. Amazing what you can find in your yard. Cool huh? I'll have to track down an archeologist to get their input.

Got in some nice rides this past week. Did a nice Thursday night spin in the foothills with Ann. Also, a couple of nice east mountain rides over the weekend. Cool conditions both days required a light jacket. Sunday afternoon after fixing a creaky bottom bracket on the DeanSS, I hit up Otero and vicinity, but it got a bit muddy over on the 106 Ridge, but most of the single track was good to go, except the increased rolling resistance from the wet soil always zap my legs and my average speed suffers. Still a really good 2.5 hours riding time. Hope to be able to build up Ann's new ride this week if UPS delivers as promised. I'm finally going to have to learn how to deal with disc brakes. If this moisture continues, we may actually get to dust off our snowboards and snowshoes this winter.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home