Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Wednesday, January 17, 2007



I've put way more miles on the snowshoes and spin bike since Christmas than on the pavement or dirt, but it is winter after all. And, we're having a real winter this year too. Last year we were able to ride the entire winter, even on our favorite east mountain trails and we took advantage, knowing that the Forest Service would likely close things down come spring or summer due to fire danger. The good thing about the snow and moisture this winter, is that it is highly unlikely the Forest Service will close down our trails in 07.

I did manage a nice road ride last week when the temps warmed up, but my legs were absolutely dead from intervals on the spin bike from the night before. One of these days I'm going to get a compact crankset for the Klein. My 8 speed Klein was previously owned by a Cat 1 roadie who was on the Junior National team in his youth, and it's geared accordingly and frankly, I'm just not strong enough to consistently push those tall gears on the big climbs. It's the first real road bike I've owned and though not my favorite kind of riding, I need to beef up the road miles this year. Spin classes have been a nice diversion the past month, and they are serving their purpose, and helping to maintain fitness. I should still have a good base to build on as trail and road conditions improve and am hopeful that I'll be able to significantly improve on my total mileage in 2007. Hope to have some dirt rides to report on soon, but the weatherman has not been my friend lately.

2 Comments:

At 8:38 PM, January 21, 2007, Blogger Matt said...

FWIW - I run 53/39 with 12-25 10-speed on my roadie. Jeni runs 12-25 but with the compact 50/34. Compact seems to be the bettwer choice for most of the stuff in NM and the larger gearing doesn't give an advantage.

M

 
At 11:58 AM, January 22, 2007, Blogger StageWest said...

Thanks for the input Matt. Once I decide on the rings, I'll get one ordered up.
Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home