Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Saturday, December 30, 2006


The weather has nixed my riding plans the past two weeks. First, my big winter solstice ride was cancelled and now it looks like my New Years ride will be cancelled too. I always thought Gary Fisher’s tradition of doing a mountain bike century on the winter solstice was great and I had a dirt metric century planned, but that’s the way things go. I’ve also done something the past two weeks that I hardly ever do, and that’s go to spin class. Our instructor Pam is a cyclist, and she’s been giving us a darn good interval workout, so we’ll continue with that until we can ride again.

We got 10 inches of snow right before Christmas, then yesterday and today, another 18 to 20 inches fell at our house. It’s going to be a long time before even the foothills trails are in shape to ride. The weather folks are saying it's an all time record for Albuquerque. I think we’re going to have to hit up Cruces (link courtesy of Dave H)or somewhere south soon to get the fat tire fix. I know I’ll be going stir crazy for a ride soon.

Too, the snow shoeing has been excellent. Got out to the Manzanitas last weekend with a few folks from the FCA-E team. Beautiful day, and a nice workout. Also did a loop from the house today into the foothills with Ann and the pups. I’m still amazed at how much snow fell up there. The snow should be fantastic at the Sandia ski area, so I’m definitely going to haul my snowboard up the tram to play in this amazing powder while it lasts.

Have a safe and fun New Year everyone. Also, check out my buddy Hack’s blog. He’s shot some very professional video with a good soundtrack of some of his adventures in the pacific northwest where he lives. Everything from rainforest singletrack, northshore style stunts, and some cool footage from an awesome trail at Mount St. Helen’s. Greg’s wife Marla is sportin her Singlespeed (Bianchi?) for a lot of the footage. It takes a while to see the whole thing, but it’s worth the time.
Grace and Peace.

2 Comments:

At 10:28 AM, January 01, 2007, Blogger Matt said...

Hey Chris, happy new year! Lots of snow around these parts now, but should be some different kind of fun. Cruces/El Paso is a worthy weekend and we know it well. Shoot me an email if you want some ideas.

 
At 9:03 PM, January 02, 2007, Blogger StageWest said...

Matt,
Thanks, I'll definitely shoot you an email before we head down that way. Hope you and Jeni have a great 2007!
Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home