Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Monday, January 22, 2007



Snow again this weekend but it wasn't really so bad. The big remodel starts today, and over the weekend we got moved out of the master into the spare bedroom for the next 5 or 6 weeks. I'm sure it will be an interesting month and a half but will be nice when it's all finished. Saturday we did manage a nice workout at the gym and got the dogs out for a good run afterward. I was reading Matt's post on MTBR.COM Saturday evening and noticed he'd gotten out for a foothills adventure in the blowing snow, so I took the queue, and got out Sunday afternoon for a nice ride on the snow in the north foothills. For the most part, I stayed on the lower trails, but also did the long, steady climb from the Bear Canyon arroyo near Tramway, to the wilderness boundary at Pino Canyon. The last half to quarter mile of the climb was tricky dealing with all the icy, lumpy snow from hikers and snow shoers (including some of my own snow shoe prints!) and I occasionally broke through or dropped the front wheel into a print, impeding my progress. Really had to concentrate and work harder than normal to get up there, but it sure was nice to be out. All in all 15 miles in 95 minutes which didn't seem too bad for the snow, though 3 of those miles were on or adjacent to the bike path which was pretty smooth sailing. Looks like we're due for a few days of nicer weather, so I should be able to at least log some miles on the pavement this week.

5 Comments:

At 8:28 PM, January 22, 2007, Blogger ojulius said...

So Matt and crew weren't the only ones out there playing with bikes and snow...cool pics! I never thought about the issue of breaking through the snow with the front wheel. That could get tricky!! Here's to warm weather soon!!

 
At 9:13 AM, January 23, 2007, Blogger StageWest said...

I think Matt really instigated the snow play. I did need a fat tire fix, though!

 
At 7:19 AM, January 24, 2007, Blogger Matt said...

Yeah it's amazing how we have taken just a regulr foothills ride for granted. I tell myself all the time that I'm sick of riding up there and now would justlove to have a chance to ride it - free of ice -again.

 
At 1:50 PM, January 25, 2007, Blogger Casa de PDH said...

dude,
you just need to break out the ice climbing gear and put the bike up for a spell.
pdh

 
At 8:54 AM, January 27, 2007, Blogger StageWest said...

Matt, yeah, I've gained an appreciation of the foothills during this weather we've had.

pdh, I've retired from the crazy days of my youth!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home