Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Wednesday, April 25, 2007








We were guests of the Sovereign Havasupai Nation within the Grand Canyon. The people of the blue-green water as the photos attest. They are a really interesting people and they tolerate outsiders, but would rather greet any of the 450 or so tribal members who live there in their native tongue. The only way in and out is by foot, horse, or helicopter. We backpacked in and out and put around 30 miles on our hiking boots in the process. The place is really beyond description and was worth every hot, dusty mile when we got to the spectacular waterfalls, and some of the amazing archeological sites. Made it to Navajo, Havasu, and Mooney, which required a semi-scary near vertical descent on chain ladders. One thing I learned, is that cycling is not good training for backpacking. I’m sure I never got out of the lower end of HR zone 2 while packing, but my legs and calves were (are) toast after climbing back out of the Canyon. I highly recommend this trip to anyone who is able and can wait up to 6 to 12 months for a permit.

2 Comments:

At 9:56 AM, April 26, 2007, Blogger Joel said...

Those are amazing pictures. Talk about a trip of a lifetime!

 
At 7:55 AM, April 27, 2007, Blogger StageWest said...

Thanks Joel. Not bad pics for a cheapo Kodak digital eh?

It was an awesome trip. I find the downhill packing much harder on my knees and legs, but feel like I could climb all day.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home