Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Monday, May 29, 2006


Freedom Ride. Thanks to all of those who faithfully served our country and allowed me the freedom to ride bikes. Thanks to my grandfather, my dad, my father-in-law, and all of you I don't know. You are appreciated.

My freedom ride was on the Singlespeed in the foothills. Been riding a lot lately and even getting a fair amount of road miles in. With the forest closures I started at the bottom of Cedar Hill and climbed up to just below the water tanks, then worked south to Embudito. What's up with all the yellow tape closing off the area near the tanks anyway? Short patch of pavement through Glenwood Hills and picked up the singletrack again at Comanche. Did my normal loop through the south foothills. First time I've had the SS in the south foothills and I'd forgotten about all the steep, loose, climbing. Fun, but all the sand and heat made my legs weary. Worked back north the way I came and started bonking about the 20 mile mark. I'm still figuring the right amount of insulin and fuel to take for longer rides. Plus when it's hot out, it's hard for me to eat much during a ride. Started feeling better after eating and I wimped out on the climb up to Pino and instead just followed 365 back. Got run off the trail during that climbing stretch that eventually drops into the arroyo. I was surprised to see the lead rider wearing a new club jersey for the local trail advocacy group as everyone else I've met from that group knows trail etiquette. These guys were bombing and not moving for anyone. I was too tired and hot to harass them.

All in all, a great ride. 27 miles, one gear, and the gps said 2,500 feet of climbing, but it sure felt like more. 2.5 hours of ride time on really crowded trails, so not a bad ride time given all the slow downs for hikers. I've been running a Surly, 17 tooth cog and am really happy with it.

Been able to ride three straight days. Great way to spend the weekend. Our club ride was also in the foothills on Sat. Had five folks show up and it was a good group. Ran into Donnie on his SS too. He's running 32:16 on a Gunnar SS frame; nice set up for a strong guy. He said he's skipping Show Low Xterra this year. He won his division last year, but said he's a little burnt on the Tri stuff. Carl, Laurie, Todd, and Jane will be hitting Show Low next weekend, while Patrick and Sandy are heading to San Fran for Sandy's escape from Alcatraz Tri. Sounds like a brutal race starting in wicked cold water. Keep all those racing and traveling in your prayers. Our friend Matt is leaving tonight for the Bomb mission trip to the Ukraine. They'll be doing a lot of community service work while there and also doing lots of mountain biking. Each person that's going purchased a mountain bike that was flown over there and will be left there for the Ukraine Bomb group. The Ukraine group has hardly anything by our standards, yet they are so completely happy and content with their lives. A great lesson for all of us.

Off to BBQ with friends. Sorry for the rambling. It's been a couple weeks since I posted and I'm just dumping information rather than creating a narrative.

Blessed be the name of the Lord

2 Comments:

At 4:42 PM, June 01, 2006, Blogger Hack said...

Sounds like a good ride. It's good to hear ss talk. I'll be geting one soon so i can join my Wife in the pain..i mean fun.

 
At 6:45 AM, June 02, 2006, Blogger StageWest said...

Hack, Good ride indeed. I've only been on my geared bike a few times since March and sure have been having fun on the SS.

I'm sure you'll love your SS.

Sorry I missed you guys in Moab/Fruita this year. I've been having SS dreams of the bookcliffs for some time now!
Chris

 

Post a Comment

<< Home