Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Wednesday, April 05, 2006



Had my routine endocrinology appointment this morning. My A1C blood tests continue to be outstanding and my blood pressure is excellent at 100/64, which is darn good considering I'd had 2 cappuchinos earlier! It's been 13 years since I was diagnosed with diabetes. To put that in perspective, I average about 4 to 5 insulin injections per day, so I've had somewhere in the ballpark of 20,000 insulin injections during that period, WOW!

I'm so thankful that God has protected me from complications from this disease, and I am convinced that the GIFT of cycling has played a major role in my overall health. I'm now in my 5th year of mountain biking, and I also started road biking about a year and a half ago. Prior to cycling, I had reached an elite level of another sport, but it became something it wasn't intended, a grind to maintain that elite level, and I just walked away from it, thank God! My cycling has been a steady progression, but I vowed not to let it become like my other sport, which is why I avoid routine competitive cycling. I'm now at a solid "Sport" level and when I'm having a really good day, I can keep pace with the experts and I've had a lot of great riders to learn from and push me to get better.

The winter, Wednesday night crew is a pretty amazing group and it's so fun to ride with them, even when they inflict pain and serve humble pie. "McGyver" is an incredible athlete and former top 20 finisher at the xterra world championships. When PM joins us, they pace is amazing, especially when he brings the cross bike to the foothills and climbs the route up Pino in a 44:16 like it was nothing, dropping the whole group. PM is a former CT state CX champ, and former member of the Junior National Roadie team. He's been riding for something like 25 years, and I know I'll never be that good, but it sure sets a high benchmark. DJ is just plain fast and has been at it a long time, with very respectable finishes at 24hours of Moab and other events. The "D" man has gotten much faster than me since I first road with him, and he is now one of the top xterra racers in the entire southwest. John is a very fast expert racer and had solid finishes and a high standing in the NMORS while only racing a handfull of events. Todd is a roadie/cross rider that's come over to the dark side. He's really strong and working to improve his technical skills for the xterra circuit this year. Sam is deceptively fast. He's been sick a lot this year and lacking sleep with a new baby, but he seems to peak for the races. In 05 his team won their age group at 24 hours of OP, and in 06, they finished 2nd, in a much more competetive classification. Me, I just feel lucky to ride with such a great group; some are Christians, some don't give a rip about it, but we're friends and we love to ride just the same and we try to have a positive impact in each others lives. Cycling is great. It involves great people and has blessed me mentally, physically, and more.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home