Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Friday, March 17, 2006



End of an Era...........It's been nearly 5 months since I said goodbye to Tundra and it's still hard to write this. He was my faithfull companion for 14 years and a magnificent animal. I had said goodbye to Tundra's mate Kodi a year and half earlier, she too was 14. Tundra was mostly timberwolf, with a little malamute in his gene pool. I don't condone people owning this type of canine, as they require a high level of maintenance and a commitment that most people could never offer. However, I was at a unique place in my life when I got Tundra, and was able to give him the kind of life he deserved. We lived in a rural area in the mountains east of Albuquerque on a nice piece of property where I was able to build a huge enclosure for both Kodi and Tundra. They thrived in our forested environment and got to go on hikes and runs every day of their lives (except when I was sick).

There are so many stories to tell and maybe I'll recount some at a later time. Things that stand out the most in my memory; I slept well at night with Tundra at the foot of my bed. He loved to sit at my feet each morning over coffee during quiet time. He would have gladly given his life for me if necessary. He was a jokester and always knew how to make me laugh when he saw that I was down. He always greeted me with a boisterous howl and I miss him dearly.

I was blessed to have Tundra in my life for so many years. It was tough to see him grow old and I'm glad I was able to comfort him when it was time to say goodbye. I think that God has given me a little glimpse of His unconditional love through the canine companions that have graced my life.

Top picture is of Tundra at 8 weeks and bottom picture is at 14 years, just 3 weeks before he died.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home