Stage West

Fat tire adventures and other stuff

Friday, October 19, 2007


Had an opportunity to give some ergon grips a try this week. I’ve heard a ton of great things about these grips and though my review is mixed it is positive overall. They were a piece of cake to install on my Easton Monkey Lite bar, and dialing in the correct angle also was simple. They feel great in your hand and there’s really not much of a weight penalty. For climbing, these were by far the most comfy grips I’ve ever ridden with and I loved them for all the climbing I did. I felt they performed O.K. for descending, but not as good as with a cylindrical grip. In twisty, tight, technical terrain I really had to fight the bike to “steer” it properly as opposed to being able to grip it and rip it with a traditional setup. I also noticed that when really hammering through rolling, rocky terrain, my neck and shoulders started to ache. I’m not sure why yet, but I think it has something to do with the fact that the Ergons keep your hand in a more locked or rigid position, thus more of the force of trail impacts is transferred to your upper body, and by design away from your hand and that troublesome ulner nerve. With a traditional grip, the many moving parts of your hand, and wrist help to dampen a lot of that trail chatter. I’m looking forward to trying these grips out on the singelspeed setup, as I think they will really shine. Overall a thumbs up and I think they’ll be on my Dean a while.

Labels:

2 Comments:

At 4:56 PM, October 19, 2007, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think you are officially an old geezer now :^)
PDH

 
At 12:17 PM, October 22, 2007, Blogger StageWest said...

Ha! I've got a few more months before I enter geezerdom!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home